Monday, November 24, 2008

Respect

Hi Everyone,

Today I want to talk about respect. I gave a workshop to a group of support workers on this topic this morning and some of their questions left me baffled that these people were working in the field that they are. It also got me thinking about respect in my own life. Respect can mean many things. In my life I see it in respect for my communication preferences, respect for my identity, respect for my body, and respect for my choices.

My communication preferences differ depending on the situation. Sometimes I will speak and speech reading, sometimes I will use interpreters and ASL. Even with an interpreter present I may choose to voice for myself, or I may choose to speech read the speaker. I am very shy about using my voice but I will from time to time. When I have the same interpreter with me for most of the week I need to be sure that they will respect my choice depending on the situation. I know that some interpreters are not flexible and want me to choose. I am lucky that those with me on a regular basis respect my choices depending on the situation.

This same respect for communication preferences extends to the Deaf and Hearing communities as well. I expect the Deaf community to respect my choice to speak sometimes, and I expect the Hearing community to respect my choice to sign. When I make a communication choice it is because it is the best one for me in that situation.

My identity is Deaf. I am not hearing impaired, hard of hearing, hearing, or anything else. I am Deaf. Period. I again expect both the Deaf and Hearing communities to respect my identity. I am sick of being asked if I am “Deaf Deaf” because I am new to the Deaf community here. I am sick of people insisting on calling me “hearing impaired” in the Hearing community. I am Deaf. That is me. Respect it.

I expect people to respect my body. I don’t like it when people throw things at me, or tap me insensately. I expect people to get my attention in a respectful manor. If I go to a doctor or medical professional I expect them to only do required tests and procedures.

I expect respect for my choices. My choice to not get a cochlear implant, my choice to speak or sign, my choice of school, my choice of job. I know what I need better than anyone else and I demand that people respect these choices. Not only those choices but any choices I make in my life. It is my life and I am making these choices for a reason.

The biggest lack of respect I see in the support worker community is the respect of identity. Today I could not get the group to call me Deaf because to them I was a “person with a hearing impairment”. No, I am Deaf. Respect the individual. Please.

G'night!

Jenny

No comments: