Monday, March 24, 2008

And then there was another week...

Hey all,

My audiologist emailed me today and my appointment to fit my new aids isn't until NEXT Monday at 2:00PM. That is a whole week away! I have been in silence for almost two weeks now. I am getting used to it but I am very anxiouse to find out if these aids will work for me. If they do work it would be fantastic! That being said, if they don't lots is going to have to change.

I guess lots is going to have to change anyway. Even if the aids help, I am still going to have a profound hearing loss. The aids aren't going to 'fix' it. I am not looking for a fix. If there was one I would probably do it but only if it was guarenteed. I was offered steroid treatment just after the sudden loss but the ENT doctor told me that the risk was huge compared to the very very minimal chance that I would benefit. He also said it may not be smart with the asthma meds I am on. He left it up to me and I decided right away not to do it.

There is also the option of a CI. My audiologist is setting up an appointment with me to see a cochlear implant audiologist who will do a full assesment of my hearing and discuss my options. I have already decided that at this time I don't want a CI. It just seems really invasive for me at this point. Since I am adjusting to my silent world really well so far I want to wait a while before putting myself through surgery. I would need to make sure it is 100% what I would want to do before I were to do it.

The journey is just beginning and the next scheduled stop is this Friday at the ENT clinic at Toronto General Hospital. Hopefully I will able to stick to the schedule for the remainder of the journey, if not I will take all of the bumps, twists, turns, and even crashes in stride.

-Jenny

No comments: