Thursday, April 17, 2008

And then there was the good...

Hey all,

The good has started to come rapidly from the aids! I have been wearing them despite the discomfort caused by the earmold because I love them! Last night, after only having them for 48 hours, I was in a board meeting and I was starting to hear words! What I was seeing and what I was hearing were starting to match up! It was awesome! Then today I went to school and the other students and my teachers told me that my own voice sounded 110% better!

None of this came without work though. Since I got them I have been watching so many news broadcasts so I can read the person and hear them. I have been working harder at this than anything else in my life! I have been working on my own speech to. Working on making it sound the same as other peoples. I am so excited to go to my audiologist tomorrow and see what she says about my speech! It will be the true test! Yay!

That being said, tomorrow I am going to get another impression done for a new mold for my left ear. She is also sending the mold that I have now back. This means no left hearing aid for an undefined period of time. Last time it took two weeks to get my news molds. This is not good. I have become very dependent on my aids in a very short period of time. I need the sounds. I think I can use the right one alone provided I don't try to walk, or drive with just the one. If I am sitting I don't get to dizzy or off balance feeling. I am hoping I can still use the right one at school, work, in mettings, and so on until I get the left mold back. I don't think I am getting much from the left aid anyway. My thresholds are much worse in that ear. I am mostly getting some environmental sound from it with the aid. It helps with balance too. I walk like a drunk person if I only wear one. Hopefully the earmold situation can be rectified sooner rather than later!

Yay for new hearing aids!

-Jenny

No comments: